Course detail: Alternative Lethal Force for Officers: Knife Defense
- The student will evaluate the knife's role in law enforcement from an operational and legal perspective with a consideration of state law, federal law and department policy.
- The student will identify features of a good "police use" knife and demonstrate general safe knife handling skills.
- Students will analyze various knife draws and grips to assess which techniques work for them and their equipment.
- Students will conduct exercises to allow them to identify and differentiate various angles when both using and defending against the knife.
- Students will be able to recognize the speed, time and distance between themselves and an attacker as related to deploying their knife or defending against an edged weapon attack.
- Students will employ methods of integrating empty hand and police duty knife skills.
- Hands-On Exercises
- Law Enforcement
- 100 % participation
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend University of Kansas sponsored events. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in an event, please email KLETC or call 620.694.1400 at least three weeks before the first day of the event. Some events may require notice earlier than three weeks and require you contact a specific individual; if so, that information is provided in the event-specific information.
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.