Course detail: AERO0110 - Airplane Flight Dynamics
Participants in this course learn an overview of airplane static and dynamic stability and control theory and applications, as well as classical control theory and applications to airplane control systems. An overview of flying qualities and regulations is included.
- General airplane equations of motion
- Review of basic aerodynamic concepts
- Longitudinal aerodynamic forces and moments
- Lateral-directional aerodynamic forces and moments
- Thrust forces and moments
- The concept of static stability
- Applications of the steady state airplane equations of motion
- Effects of the flight control system; control forces
- Applications of the perturbed state equations of motion
- Dynamic stability: short period, phugoid, Dutch Roll, spiral and roll mode
- Review of flying qualities criteria
- Introduction to human pilot transfer functions
- Synthesis of stability augmentation systems
Aeronautical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers needing to learn more about flight dynamics, along with pilots with some engineering background, government research laboratory personnel, engineering managers and educators.
Early registration course fee: $2,495 if you register and pay by the early registration deadline (45 days prior to the first day of class).
Regular registration course fee: $2,695 if you register and pay after the early registration deadline.
U.S. Federal Employee Discount
This course is available to U.S. federal employees at 10% off the registration fee. To receive the federal employee discount, you must enter the code FGVT116 during the checkout process. Please note that you must validate your eligibility to receive this discount by entering your U.S. government email address (ending in .gov or .mil) when creating your online registration profile. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Canada Department of National Defence Discount
This course is available to Canada DND employees at 10% off the registration fee. Please contact the DND Procurement Authority (DAP 2-3) for details. Please note that you cannot register using our online system when requesting this discount. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Aircraft Design, Flight Tests and Aircraft Performance
Classroom hours / CEUs
35 classroom hours
Willem Anemaat discusses Airplane Flight Dynamics (video)
AERO0110 Course Information and Outline (PDF Document)