This course is designed to provide a qualitative understanding of aeroelastic behavior for aerospace vehicles. The class will explore different forms of aeroelastic phenomena and associated issues in structural dynamics and aerodynamic-structure interaction. Topics include solution methodologies, computational methods for aeroelastic analysis, development of the operational flight boundary, aeroservoelasticity, and contemporary topics such as limit cycle oscillations and related nonlinear pathologies in aeroelastic systems. The class addresses practical issues such as ground and flight tests. The course material will require selected study of the essential equations.
- A brief overview of history, definitions and fundamentals
- Description of static aeroelastic phenomena, including divergence and reversal
- Review basic mechanical vibration theory leading to modal methods
- An introduction to unsteady aerodynamics
- An introduction to dynamic aeroelasticity
- The development of the governing equations for the aeroelastic system
- The pros and cons of frequency domain versus time domain methods
- Flutter identification and review of flutter models
- Development of the flutter boundary, federal regulations and application to the flight envelope
- Example problems used to elucidate concepts
- Ground tests, GVTs and wind tunnel tests
- Aeroservoelasticity for response mitigation and flutter alleviation
- Flight test program examples
- Nonlinear aeroelasticity
This course is designed for engineers and technical managers involved in aerospace vehicle design, analysis and testing related to aeroelastic response and stability issues. The level of class instruction is appropriate for engineers and managers with an undergraduate degree in engineering.
Early registration course fee: $2,495 if you register and pay by the early registration deadline (45 days prior to the first day of class).
Regular registration course fee: $2,695 if you register and pay after the early registration deadline.
U.S. Federal Employee Discount
This course is available to U.S. federal employees at 10% off the registration fee. To receive the federal employee discount, you must enter the code FGVT116 during the checkout process. Please note that you must validate your eligibility to receive this discount by entering your U.S. government email address (ending in .gov or .mil) when creating your online registration profile. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Canada Department of National Defence Discount
This course is available to Canada DND employees at 10% off the registration fee. Please contact the DND Procurement Authority (DAP 2-3) for details. Please note that you cannot register using our online system when requesting this discount. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Aircraft Design, Flight Tests and Aircraft Performance
Classroom hours / CEUs
31.5 classroom hours
IMPORTANT - BEFORE REGISTERING FOR A COURSE
You will need a profile with a password to access to your course enrollment history and certificates.
Click on "Create Profile/Sign In" in the left hand margin. If you have previously created an account Sign In with your password. If you do not have a profile with a password, click "create a profile". Continue shopping to register for the course and session of your choice.
AERO0410 Course Information and Outline