Course detail: AERO0020 - Advanced Flight Tests
This course provides the practical knowledge needed to plan a safe and comprehensive series of flutter envelope expansion tests. It includes suggestions and recommendations for flutter and post-stall certification as well as demonstration of new or significantly modified airplane designs to meet civil or military requirements.
- Why advanced flight testing is necessary
- Fundamental principles of aeroelasticity
- Experimental and analytical tools used in preflight preparations
- Instrumentation for flutter envelope expansion
- Subcritical response techniques and interpretation of supporting analyses
- Interpreting test results
- Expanding the envelope
- Discussions of limit cycle oscillations
- Foundations of post-stall flight testing
- Aerodynamic conditions for dynamic equilibrium
- Experimental tools for preflight preparations
- Instrumentation for post-stall flight tests
- Emergency recovery devices
- Subsystem modifications for post-stall testing
- Recommended recovery techniques
- Guidelines and discipline for conducting advanced flight tests
- Planning for efficiency in data collection and data management
- Contingency planning
Designed for practicing and entry-level flight test engineers and managers, aircraft engineers, and aircraft designers.
Early registration fee: $2,495 if you register and pay by the early registration deadline (45 days prior to the first day of class).
Regular registration fee: $2,695 if you register and pay after the early registration deadline.
U.S. Federal Employee Discount
This course is available to U.S. federal employees at 10% off the registration fee. To receive the federal employee discount, you must enter the code FGVT116 during the checkout process. Please note that you must validate your eligibility to receive this discount by entering your U.S. government email address (ending in .gov or .mil) when creating your online registration profile. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Flight Tests and Aircraft Performance
Classroom hours / CEUs
33 classroom hours
AERO0020 Course Information and Outline (PDF Document)