Course detail: Online Certificate in Process Control and Advanced Control Strategies
The certificate covers the different aspects of control loop optimization, faultfinding, and application of advanced control strategies from a non-mathematical and practical point of view. The material is rich in practical examples and features many hands-on exercises (labs) using process simulation software to help you understand the important concepts covered during the course.
- Understand process dynamics and show their relevance to controller tuning.
- Describe the inner workings of PID controllers.
- Recognize different controller types, algorithms, and options, and describe when to use each.
- Apply the appropriate tuning techniques for different process types and tuning objectives.
- Employ techniques for quickly assessing the performance of control loops.
- Identify control valve and instrumentation problems.
- Find sources of process nonlinearity.
- Recognize performance issues that are not related to control loop problems.
- Identify how and when to apply cascade and feedforward controls.
- Understand the interaction of feedforward and cascade
- Understand the design, use and tuning of ratio and override controls.
- Optimize control loop performance.
Who Should Enroll?
This training is suited to entry-level personnel who want to understand process control and learn controller tuning techniques, and to experienced personnel who want to further their professional development, including:
- Control Engineers and Technicians
- Process Engineers
- Process Control Specialists
- Instrumentation Technicians
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in University of Kansas sponsored educational offerings. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in one of our online courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 913-897-8530 at least four weeks prior to your anticipated start date.
Online Certificate in Advanced Process Control Strategies (PDF Document)
U.S. Federal Employee Discount (PDF Document)