Course detail: Online Certificate in Process Instrumentation & Control
Process control refers to the regulation of all aspects of the industrial process: control of level, temperature, pressure and flow. Learn the basics of process instrumentation and control (PIC), including different control functions and instruments and the engineering and the installation of control equipment.
Participants in this program will learn to:
- Understand the basics of process instrumentation and control (PIC), including different control functions, types of control loops, and continuous vs. discrete control.
- Recognize the identifications and symbols used in PIC.
- Identify the different types of field instrumentation, their principles of operation, their advantages and disadvantages, and the application of the different types of sensors for flow, level, pressure, and temperature measurements.
- Describe the different models and implementation of alarm and trip systems.
- Identify the different types of computer-based control systems, including PLCs and DCSs, as well as basic requirements for good operator interface.
- Understand control loop types and the basics of tuning.
- Summarize the requirements for control rooms and the design of control panels.
- Explain the documentation required for PIC for front-end engineering and detail design.
- Define the requirements for a successful installation, instrument checkout and controller tuning.
- Understand the basics of PIC project implementation and project management.
- Apply decision-making tools: auditing, evaluation of plant needs, justification, and control system evaluation.
Who Should Enroll?
This certificate program is for those who want to learn about the PIC field in a condensed time frame and from a practical point of view and/or for those who simply want to communicate technically with PIC personnel. The program provides attendees with sufficient knowledge to move into the field of PIC. It is applicable to both technical and supervisory personnel. It is presumed that participants come from a setting where they can apply the knowledge received.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in University of Kansas sponsored educational offerings. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in one of our online courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 913-897-8530 at least four weeks prior to your anticipated start date.
Online Certificate in Process Instrumentation and Control Course Information (PDF Document)
U.S. Federal Employee Discount (PDF Document)