Course detail: Instructor Development School
This Instructor Development course is designed to provide participants with the fundamentals of course design, lesson plans, facilitation skills and techniques to effectively promote student engagement while managing the classroom.
Participants will be able to design and present an effective presentation by creating learning objectives, lesson plans, and PowerPoint presentations while using a variety of adult learning methodologies. Emphasis is placed on creating learning environments that develop student knowledge levels as well as their application of learned skills.
- Apply the principles of adult learning
- Demonstrate how to promote involvement and engagement while managing the classroom
- Develop a lesson plan consistent with Agency requirements
- Deliver several three to five minute presentations based on participant-written lesson plan
- Relate legal issues associated with training
- Demonstrate excitement and energy in their training
- The course of instruction will be an instructor-led presentation, with learner's involvement and participation being the key method of learning used throughout the training session.
- Any public safety personnel with instructional assignments, or have a desire to instruct for their agency.
- Academy instructors who have not previously attended an instructor development course are encouraged to attend.
- Those specifically wanting to attend the KLETC Firearms Instructor School are required to take this Instructor Development School or an equivalent (to be determined by KLETC Leadership).
NOTE: Attendees are encouraged to bring a laptop computer for use in class. All course materials will be provided. This course will be repeated. Preference for enrollment in this class will be given to those officers selected for Firearms Instructor Certification School.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend University of Kansas sponsored events. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in an event, please email KLETC or call 620.694.1400 at least three weeks before the first day of the event. Some events may require notice earlier than three weeks and require you contact a specific individual; if so, that information is provided in the event-specific information.