A promotion to a supervisory position is an invitation to enter the world of personnelmanagement. This course will provide attendees with the knowledge necessary to recognize the most common and costly personnel liability issues confronting supervisors in public safety. Far too many supervisors are learning about these challenges through the process of trial and error-at great expense to the agencies and themselves. In this course, federal and state statutes and case law will be utilized to illustrate the potential pitfalls of employee relations in public safety administration and the means by which those liability risks can be managed.
This training is designed to prepare public safety supervisors to take preventative steps to limit supervisor liability, maintain organizational standards and protect employee rights under the law.
- Sources of liability in personnel management
- The FTO Process and the Long Term Liability Associated with "Bad Hires"
- Performance evaluations-are they helping or hurting us?
- Handling claims of harassment and discrimination
- Social media and officer discipline
- Progressive discipline policies, officer termination and the liabilities incurred by the failure to act