This course provides an overview of the fixed-wing airplane design decision-making process and the relation of design to manufacturing, maintainability and cost-effectiveness. It is applicable to jet transport, turboprop commuter transport, military (trainers, fighter bomber, UAV) and general aviation aircraft. The design process covers sizing (weight, wing area, thrust/power), aerodynamics, weight and balance, stability, control and cost. Numerous examples are shown. Lessons learned and "what to watch out for" are discussed.
- Review of drag polar breakdown for subsonic and supersonic airplanes
- Preliminary sizing of airplane takeoff, empty and fuel weights for a given mission specification
- Performance constraint analyses
- Preliminary configuration selection
- Fundamentals of fuselage and wing layout design
- High-lift and lateral control design considerations
- Fundamentals of powerplant integration
- Fundamentals of landing gear layout design
- Class I weight and balance prediction
- Class II weight, balance and moment of inertia prediction
- Fundamentals of static longitudinal stability
- Deep stall and how to design for recoverability
- Takeoff rotation and the effect of landing gear location
- Review of dynamic stability concepts and prediction methods
- Unusual configurations
- Design optimization
Aeronautical engineers, mechanical engineers and electrical engineers needing to learn more about design, pilots with some engineering background, government research laboratory personnel, engineering managers and educators.
Classroom hours / CEUs
35 classroom hours
IMPORTANT - BEFORE REGISTERING FOR A COURSE
You will need a profile with a password to access to your course enrollment history and certificates.
Click on "Create Profile/Sign In" in the left hand margin. If you have previously created an account Sign In with your password. If you do not have a profile with a password, click "create a profile". Continue shopping to register for the course and session of your choice. Course Resources
Willem Anemaat discusses Airplane Preliminary Design (video)
AERO0130 Course Information and Outline : Airplane Preliminary Design
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.