In this course participants learn how aerodynamics drive the detailed exterior design of transport aircraft. What aerodynamic phenomena play a role in the exterior design of a wing, a cockpit, or an engine intake? What is the effect of aerodynamic add-ons such as vortex generators, fairings, or winglets? What are the advantages and penalties of wing sweep and how can the penalties be mitigated by the aerodynamic design of the wing? Those are the type of questions this course addresses. Participants learn to understand how the various aircraft components should be shaped in order to fulfill aerodynamic requirements in all corners of the flight envelope. The strong ties between aircraft performance, aircraft aerodynamics, and aircraft exterior design are demonstrated through numerous historical and contemporary examples. Although the main focus is on jet aircraft, the course also covers the effects of propeller installation on the aerodynamic design of the empennage.
- Causes for interference drag in high-subsonic conditions
- Effect of Reynolds number on shock-boundary-layer interaction
- Design characteristics of supercritical airfoils
- Mach number effects on flow over multi-element airfoils
- Design of root and tip of swept-wing aircraft
- Stability and control beyond the maximum operating Mach number
- Propeller slipstream effects on longitudinal stability and yawing moment
- Design constraints resulting from transonic buffet
- Stalling characteristics of wings with high-lift devices
Designed for aeronautical engineers, pilots with some engineering background, government research laboratory personnel, engineering managers and educators.
Early registration course fee: $2,495 if you register and pay by the early registration deadline (45 days prior to the first day of class).
Regular registration course fee: $2,695 if you register and pay after the early registration deadline.
Classroom hours / CEUs
35 classroom hours
IMPORTANT - BEFORE REGISTERING FOR A COURSE
You will need a profile with a password to access to your course enrollment history and certificates.
Click on "Create Profile/Sign In" in the left hand margin. If you have previously created an account Sign In with your password. If you do not have a profile with a password, click "create a profile". Continue shopping to register for the course and session of your choice. Course Resources
Roelof Vos discusses Aerodynamic Design of Transport Aircraft (video)
AERO0040 Course Information and Outline : Aerodynamic Design of Transport Aircraft
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.