Course Detail: WELL-9211 - Opioid Pharmacology and the Opioid Epidemic
This three-hour, live webinar will review concepts related to the pharmacology of opioids, including opioid chemistry and neuroanatomy, detoxification and withdrawal, diagnostic criteria for opioid use disorder, medication assisted treatment, and naloxone.
- Review the history of opioid use
- Discuss the opioid epidemic, including historical and contributing factors
- Review opioid chemistry and effects on neuroanatomy
- Discuss opioid pharmacology including various formulations and drug metabolism
- Discuss how opioids interact with the pleasure reward center
- Discuss concepts related to detoxification and withdrawal
- Review the diagnostic criteria for opioid use disorder
- Review principles related to medication assisted therapy and treatment considerations for opioid use disorder
- Review the use of naloxone for opioid overdose recovery
This webinar is appropriate for alcohol and drug counselors, therapists, and registered nurses. Participants must have access to a computer and web camera. Within 24 hours of the webinar date, you will receive an email with a link to participate. This is a live event. All participants require internet access, a web camera and an email address.
*IAODAPCA contact hours have been applied for and are pending.