Course Detail: WELL-9115 - Emotional and Binge Eating, Chronic Dieting, and Body Shame: What Clinicians Need to Know
Emotional and Binge Eating, Chronic Dieting, and Body Shame: What Clinicians Need to Know
"I'm an emotional eater."
"I'm an emotional eater."
"I have to lose weight if I want to be healthy."
"I know what I'm supposed to do, but I just don't do it."
"My eating is out of control."
These types of comments are common in our culture and frequently make their way into the clinical setting. While the treatment of eating disorders requires specialized training, it's important for all mental health/health professionals to understand the paradigm shifts happening when it comes to eating problems and weight concerns. After all, societal norms regarding eating, weight, and health affect most clients we work with, regardless of body size.
In this full day training you'll discover how recovery from eating past fullness and bingeing is more than a matter of self-control, weight loss, or even understanding the emotional triggers. Judith will teach you how to integrate multiple facets of treatment-including the attuned eating framework, the role of shame and self-compassion, emotional regulation, body image strategies, understanding weight stigma and the Health At Every Size® paradigm-so that clients have the tools necessary to develop a nourishing and peaceful relationship with food, and to feel more at home in - and take care of - their bodies.
Judith will address these important topics using a variety of teaching approaches including lively didactic material, experiential exercises, and small group interactions.
Upon successful completion, participants will be able to:
- Analyze the relationship between diet culture, eating problems and weight concerns.
- Explain the five components of the diet-binge cycle.
- Teach clients the three steps of attuned eating.
- Identify attitudes toward body size.
- Utilize at least three strategies to cultivate a healthy body image.
- Explain how the tenets of the Health At Every Size? paradigm support clients in practicing positive self-care behaviors.
- Welcome and Introduction
- Identifying Eating Problems, Chronic Dieting and Weight Concerns
- Exploring the Diet/Binge Cycle and the Role of Shame
- Implementing the Attuned/Intuitive Eating Framework
- Understanding Emotional Aspects of Eating
- Cultivating a Healthy Body Image
- Examining Attitudes Toward Body Size
- Introducing the Health At Every Size® Paradigm
- Changing the Conversation About Dieting, Food and Weight
Upon successful completion, participants will be awarded 7 contact hours for nurses, nursing home administrators, dietitians, social workers and counselors. Illinois Certification Board has approved 7 continuing education units in the categories of Category: Counselor II, Preventionist II, CARS II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CRSS I or II, CVSS II, CPRS I or II, MAATP II, CFPP II, and NCRS II upon successful completion.
This seminar is being offered both in-person and as a live webinar. Please select the session you will attend.