Certificate Detail: CAC - Chiropractic Acupuncture Certificate Program (on Campus)
This new four session 100 hour program provides doctors of chiropractic and T5+ chiropractic students the opportunity to learn the age-old technique of acupuncture in levels of progression. Each session incorporates classroom and laboratory practicum to advance your acupuncture knowledge along with your clinical application skills. It offers an overview and basic training in acupuncture theory and techniques.
In order to qualify for the NBCE acupuncture exam and use acupuncture as a adjunct therapy, you must complete this program in its entirety, and succesfully pass all of the examinations.
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) theory.
- Demonstrate proficiency in identifying and needling common acupuncture points.
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying acupuncture and TCM theory to clinical compliants and conditions.
- Confidently incorporate acupuncture in the treatment of common and complex clinical conditions.
You must come prepared to expose parts of your body so your partners can needle you and vis-versa. Dressing rooms are available in the lab classroom. Therefore, ALWAYS bring a gown or gown top, swimsuit, shorts, or loose clothing that will allow for this. T-back sport bras are NOT a good choice since they don’t allow easy access to the thoracic spine.
Clean Needle Kit:
All students are required to purchase a clean needle kit. You should purchase the kit contents prior to class from the University's Campus Store. It costs $185 (save $40 from buying separately). The container to house all of these items must be a hard sided case to contain all supplies (i.e. tackle box like – a soft case is not acceptable) and must be purchased separately prior to class.
- A Manual of Acupuncture, (2nd edition, hardcover) Peter Deadman ISBN-13: 978-0951054659
- Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion Cheng Xinnong ISBN-13: 978-7119017587
- (NEW) The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists & Herbalists, (2nd edition) Giovanni Maciocia ISBN-13: 978-0702052163
- (NEW) Clean Needle Technique for Acupuncturists, (7th edition) - download your free copy here http://www.ccaom.org/downloads/7thEditionManualEnglishPDFVersion.pdf.
- The Web that has No Weaver Ted Kaptchuck: ISBN-13: 978-0809228409
- Tongue Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine Giovanni Maciocia: ISBN-13: 978-0939616190
- Close to the Bone: The Treatment of Musculo-skeletal Disorder with Acupuncture and other Traditional Chinese Medicine David Legge: ISBN-13: 978-0731691173
- Motor Point Index - An Acupuncturist's Guide to Locating and Treating Motor Points (Kindle Edition), Matt Callison
1. Clean Needle Technique Examination (Written & Practical)
2. Comprehensive Final Written Examination
3. Comprehensive Final Practical Examination
A score of 70% or greater is required on all written examinations for successful program completion; the clean needle practical and the final practical examination are both pass/fail. Competency in performing assigned acupuncture points must be demonstrated. If a score of 70% is not achieved on all written exams AND passing all practical exams, there is one opportunity for repeating the examination.
CRITERIA FOR PROGRAM COMPLETION CERTIFICATE:
Attendance of all classroom-training hours (100 total hours). Successful completion of all program examinations (written and practical).
In Minnesota, the Board of Chiropractic Examiners requires you to attend this program in its entirety (no hours earned outside this program are accepted) and pass the NBCE acupuncture exam. If you plan to practice in another state, we recommend you check directly with your state licensing board about their eligibility requirements.