Learn how to Deliver Your Message with Poise, Empathy, and Resolve in your role as a supervisor or manager with this 3-hour training on navigating difficult conversations with TrainND Northeast's soft skills trainer Kyle Ternes!
Difficult conversations are inevitable in any workplace. Those conversations can create unhappiness, stress, and tension. They can also impair and even destroy relationships. When handled poorly, they are likely to result in serious problems that interfere with productivity and leave everyone involved feeling frustrated and dissatisfied.
You can't avoid these kinds of conversations, but you can learn how to handle them more effectively. Developing the ability to handle these challenges will pay off in terms of reduced stress, increased confidence, improved relationships, increased trust, fewer problems, better teamwork, higher productivity, and better career opportunities.
This course explores the following subjects in depth:
- - Types of conversations people find difficult to carry out and the reasons why they are difficult.
- - Essential questions to consider before carrying out the conversation.
- - Using empathetic language to establish trust and understanding.
- - Key methods for getting the conversation off on a good start.
- - Techniques for delivering the message tactfully, respectfully, and productively.
- - Best practices for listening and responding.
- - Common types of difficult responses and strategies for coping with them.
- - How to generate alternatives and solutions.
- - Guidelines for bringing closure to the conversation and tips for following up on the conversation, as well as your own skills.
Successful completion of this course will increase your ability to:
- - Understand the nature of difficult conversations and what it takes to handle them.
- - Identify the seven stages of handling difficult conversations.
- - Use empathy in a way that minimizes negative responses and strengthens relationships.
- - Apply best practices for preparing, initiating, and delivering the conversation.
- - Discover how to generate solutions and bring the conversation to a close.
This training has current ND POST Board approval.
Thursday, September 28th, 2023 SHRM Approval - Grand Forks
This program, 23-DESDE, has been approved for 3.0 HR (General) Recertification Credit Hours toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP through the SHRM Recertification Provider. Please be sure to note the program ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrm.org.
Tuesday, October 17th, 2023 SHRM Approval - Devils Lake
This program, 23-C327N, has been approved for 3.0 HR (General) Recertification Credit Hours toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP through the SHRM Recertification Provider. Please be sure to note the program ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrm.org.
Our Devils Lake session is almost full! In the event we sell out, consider adding yourself to the waitlist and we'll contact you in the event we have a cancellation. To add yourself to the waitlist, 1) Create a profile, 2) Add the session to your cart (be sure you've added an attendee), then 3) continue with the checkout process. There is no charge to add yourself to the waitlist.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellation more than 5 days prior to start of training results in a 25% cancellation fee based on the class fee. Cancellation 5 days or less to the start of training results in no refund.
By registering for this course, you agree to the cancellation policy.
LRSC is an equal opportunity institution. For disability accommodation, please contact Sandi Lillehaugen, Human Resource Director, Lake Region State College, (701) 662-1543, Sandra.Lillehaugen@lrsc.edu.
Course Overview - Navigating Difficult Conversations: Supervisor Skills for Success (PDF Document)
Learning Summary - Navigating Difficult Conversations: Supervisor Skills for Success (PDF Document)