Course Detail: MAVL104 - VIRTUAL VOICE LESSONS: Singing with Imani Geary
Singing with Imani Geary: Vocal classes for students of all ages and music proficiencies. Soprano Imani Geary provides a relaxed and positive atmosphere for aspiring vocalists to learn more about what it takes to sing healthily and with purpose. Imani's classes promote the enjoyment of singing for one's self. Learn proper use of singing posture and understand the anatomy for singing. Classes incorporate videos and applications for use inside and outside of the virtual studio to demonstrate and reinforce the instruction. Basic technique work focuses on posture, breathing, coordination, and singing in English, as well as the introduction development of basic music theory and musical literacy. Several exercises will be taught to promote efficient and enjoyable practice regimens and a path for improved singing. These classes are suitable for anyone who may not have experienced voice training before, or those who would like to brush up their skills and technique with the presence and instruction of a quality singer and teacher
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Imani's goal for students is to assist in healthy vocal development. This would include, but is not limited to:
- Use of breath in singing
- Strengthening aspects of vocal technique as needed by the student
- Developing a practice routine
- Demonstrating and personalizing vocal warmups and cool downs
- Instilling confidence in the learning process
- Nurturing a love for singing all genres of music
- Having fun!
- PRACTICE: Vocal progress is highly dependent on consistent practice. It's important to sing every day, if possible. Often, several short practice sessions are better than one long one. To help promote active practice at home, Imani will use an application called VoiceThread. VoiceThread is a collaborative, multimedia slide show that allows students to navigate slides and leave "comments" in several ways: using voice, text, or video. Imani uses VoiceThread to briefly recap each lesson and to assign exercises and/or activities for students to view and execute at home
- HEALTH: Good health is essential to any singer, so students are expected to take good care of their health and thus, their instrument (by getting enough sleep, hydration, etc.). Do your best to avoid alcohol, smoking, too much caffeine, or eating within three hours of bedtime.
- ATTENDANCE: Come ready to work and be prompt attendance for all virtual lessons. If you are ill, be sure to either email or call to cancel your lesson beforehand. LESSON
- TIME: We recommend you take an introductory lesson if you are unsure this is right for you. If you are ready to jump in with the bundle plan, the first class will be a 45 minute introductory lesson.
- REQUIRED MATERIALS: Laptop, tablet, or phone that can run the app "Zoom." Stable WiFi. A space where you can stand tall and comfortably. A way of stabilizing your device, preferably at eye-level
Available Sessions - Click on date(s) below
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.