Course Detail: SUAS-4000L3 - Trusted Operator Program™ (TOP) Level 3
The Level 3 AUVSI Trusted Operator Program* (TOP) is designed for certified remote pilots who have completed AUVSI TOP Level 1 and Level 2 certifications. The workshop is available online with a required Practical Flight Assessment (PFA) scheduled at a later date. Level 3 certification provides standards for operating in "safety critical" areas, such as near chemical, oil, gas or nuclear facilities, an extended line of sight, pipeline, power line, and cell tower inspections.
Level 3 certification is designed for UAS operations that include any of the characteristics of Level 2 plus the following learning outcomes:
- Operations in safety-critical and complex areas that require higher levels of risk mitigation, which include:
- Industrial and chemical facilities, such as offshore oil rigs, mine sites, power plants
- Infrastructure, such as wind turbines, powerlines, communications towers, rail and pipelines
- Operations in any hazardous or extreme environments including:
- From ships, moving vehicles, aircraft, confined areas and underground
- Within close proximity to and within severe weather (storm research)
- Remote, harsh or hostile locations, including wildlife considerations
- Operations requiring the development and testing of new procedures
Practical Flight Assessment (PFA) Requirements
- Students must use their own commercial, off-the-shelf aircraft with a gimbaled RGB camera (e.g., DJI Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, Yuneec Typhoon H).
- Students must bring proof of current RPC.
- Students must bring a current logbook.
- Students must have commercial liability insurance in place during their PFA (Verifly, SkyWatch AI, or similar with 1 million liability).
- Flight standards will be in accordance with ASTM F3266.7100 and flown on a NIST apparatus.
- Batteries must be OEM and not modified.
- There is no guarantee that the student will pass the PFA. This course is for experienced users only. Recommends students possess flight training prior to attending this course.
- Transportation to/from the classroom and flight area is the responsibility of the student.
Upcoming PFA Schedule:
- May 15 in Daytona Beach, Florida: CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19, contact office to schedule.
Please note: Embry-Riddle is not responsible if weather precludes completion of the PFA. PFAs are typically planned for weekends. However, Embry-Riddle reserves the right to schedule in accordance with group size.
*Trusted Operator Program is the trademark of AUVSI
July 1-29, 2020, Online Course with In-Person Practical Flight Assessment
August 1-29, 2020, Online Course with In-Person Practical Flight Assessment
September 1-29, 2020, Online Course with In-Person Practical Flight Assessment
October 1-29, 2020, Online Course with In-Person Practical Flight Assessment
November 1-29, 2020, Online Course with In-Person Practical Flight Assessment