Course Detail: SUAS-4000L2 - TOP Level 2 in association with AUVSI [sUAS 4000L2]
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's (ERAU) Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International's (AUVSI) Trusted Operator Program* (TOP) Level 2 Certification is designed for remote pilots who have completed AUVSI TOP Level 1 certification. This program is available online with a required Practical Flight Assessment (PFA) scheduled at a later date. Level 2 certification is for operators who require a CFR Part 107 waiver, a visual observer or sensor operator, or those who fall outside the CFR Part 107 regulation. This course may be taken individually or toward satisfaction of Embry-Riddle's AUVSI TOP professional education certificate.
Level 2 certification builds upon the skills and knowledge of TOP Level 1 and provides an in-depth analysis of the following learning outcomes:
- Operations that require a FAR Part 107 waiver
- Operations that require a visual observer, or sensor operator
- Operations with elevated risk factors or complexity including, but not limited to; operations close to airports, helipads, populated areas, people and livestock.
Practical Flight Assessment (PFA) Requirements
- Students must develop apparatus used for flight assessment according to NIST standards for virtual PFA.
- Student is responsible for appropriate streaming platform required for virtual PFA.
- Students must use their own commercial, off-the-shelf aircraft with a gimbaled RGB camera (e.g., DJI Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, Yuneec Typhoon H).
- Students must provide proof of current RPC.
- Students must provide a current logbook.
- Students must have commercial liability insurance in place during their PFA (Verifly, SkyWatch AI, or similar with 1 million liability).
- Flight standards will be in accordance with ASTM F3266.7100 and flown on a NIST apparatus.
- Batteries must be OEM and not modified.
- There is no guarantee that the student will pass the PFA. This course is for experienced users only. Recommends students possess flight training prior to attending this course.
- Transportation to/from the classroom and flight area is the responsibility of the student, if attending in person.
Upcoming PFA Schedule:
- Contact the ERAU Worldwide Office of Professional Education for questions or enrollment.
Please note: Embry-Riddle is not responsible if weather precludes completion of the PFA. PFAs are typically planned for weekends. However, Embry-Riddle reserves the right to schedule in accordance with group size.
*Trusted Operator Program is the trademark of AUVSI