Course Detail: SSEC - System Safety Engineering & Certification
Participants will gain practical knowledge and understanding of safety engineering issues when specifying, designing, testing, operating and maintaining hardware and software products as components of safety-critical systems in regulated industries in this System Safety Engineering course developed by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
Participants are exposed to important concepts of system and software safety, including hazard and risk analysis, failure modes and analysis, formal methods for safety assessment, and safety-critical system development assurance and certification. Use of mathematical modeling is oriented toward showing its contribution on production of high integrity hardware/software systems. Issues of testing, verification, validation, and certification including applicable industry standards (SAE ARP 4754A, SAE ARP 4761, RTCA DO-178C, and RTCA DO-254) are discussed.
Upon completion of the course, the participants shall be able to:
- Understand the essential concepts of system safety, dependability, and fail-safe operations.
- Describe the role of safety analysis as a part of high integrity hardware/software lifecycle.
- Derive and apply basic models and techniques of hazard and risk analysis.
- Determine types of faults and describe the concept of fault-tolerance.
- Identify methods of testing for safety and related verification and validation issues.
- Become familiar with the certification process in aviation and related industries.
Systems, safety, software/hardware, and aerospace engineers and managers engaged in development of systems for aviation and related industries that may require formal certification. This course is tailored toward individuals actively involved in their organization's development of safety-critical systems.
Certificate of Completion
The participants attending all three days will be awarded a certificate attesting that they successfully completed the course requirements in "System Safety Engineering and Certification" and will be awarded 1.8 Continuing Education Units (CEU's).
A cancellation charge of $100 will be assessed on any standard cancellations. A late cancellation charge of 25% of the course registration fee will be assessed on cancellations occurring within 14 days of the start of the course.