Course Detail: P_SUPCOMP - Supervision: Comprehensive Program
Typically, it is not the content of the work or tasks that cause problems with supervisors and managers. It's the interactions between people; it is shifting one's focus from doing the work to getting the work done through others. Throughout the six classes, we will build on your mastery as you practice supervisory competencies that lead to effective supervision.
- Class 1: Going from Peer to Boss We will explore the various roles, characteristics and expectations of supervisors through discussions, real-life case scenarios, and self-assessments.
- Class 2: Building Engagement Successful work is about creating results together. In this session, we will explore how building trust, having coaching conversations, working through conflict, contribute to building an engaged staff.
- Class 3: The Art of Feedback Giving and receiving feedback is a core skill of supervision. Whether you are managing an individual or team's performance, understanding how to formulate feedback and understanding how feedback is commonly received is critical.
- Class 4: Delegation Knowing when, what, who, and how to delegate is critical to the success of any supervisor. In this session we will explore why a supervisor may or may not delegate; what and what not to delegate, a strong delegation process, and how to follow-up.
- Class 5: Performance Management We will explore the accountability pathway, causes and interventions for suboptimal performance, building a pathway for appropriate and effective corrective action and dealing with difficult employees and their forms of resistance.
- Class 6: Coaching to Transform Performance In this session we will learn the use of powerful questions to move staff to a self-directed, solutions-oriented process and the model for having effective coaching conversations.
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information:
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.