Whether you are interacting with a colleague, an employee, a boss, or a customer, the one thing you have control over is what you say and how you say it. In this popular and practical workshop, you will have the opportunity to learn and apply critical professional communication skills that will help you develop relationships and get the work done. You'll practice how to get your ideas across, how to meet the other person's needs, and what to do if there is a conflict or difference of opinion.
In this workshop you will:
- Assess your communication strengths and areas to improve
- Review the value of enhancing your communication skills
- Identify the four basic needs of communication
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of e-mail, phone, and in-person communication
- Learn and practice specific ways to enhance your body language, tone, and word choice
- Recognize when a one-on-one encounter becomes difficult for you or the other person
- Review the key elements of difficult conversations
- Practice, practice, practice using a model and tools to turn a difficult conversation into a constructive conversation
- Write and commit to an action plan to apply these communication skills on the job
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information:
- Registration & Policies