Course Detail: P_ADVMEDIATION - Advanced Mediation Skill Development
After completing a basic mediation training and starting to mediate, are you ready to deepen your understanding of mediation and improve your mediation skills? Do you sometimes struggle with managing multiple parties and advocate/party dynamics, dealing with difficult behavior and high emotions, managing the money bargaining, or helping parties close the deal? This program can help you move to the next level as a mediator.
In this highly interactive program with demonstrations, exercises, and coached mediation simulations, you will learn to:
- Identify types of questions for the right stage of the process to help connect with the parties, develop options, and test reality or BATNA
- Communicate without triggering defensiveness
- Understand party decision-making
- Expand your techniques for addressing high emotion and difficult behaviors
- Manage multiple parties and the roles of lawyers or other advocates and their clients
- Assess power dynamics, constraints, and hidden agendas
- Assist distributive negotiation more effectively
- Expand your repertoire of techniques to diagnose barriers to agreement and overcome impasse; and
- Analyze your own choices and responses in conducting mediation.
The program will use examples from business, workplace, and civil disputes. Much of the program will involve practice in small groups with immediate instructor and peer feedback.
Who Should Attend?
This program is designed for those who have already taken basic mediation skills training and have prior experience conducting mediation, including mediators, lawyer-mediators, HR professionals, managers, educators, administrators, mental health counselors, and others who mediate as part of their professional role. Enrollment is limited.
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information: