T&L 2900: VIR: Harassment, Bullying and Cyber-Intimidation in Schools
Harassment, Bullying & Cyber-Intimidation in Schools will discuss definitions and the personal, social, and legal ramifications associated with sexual harassment, bullying, and cyber-intimidation. This online course will address what we know about these troubling areas. We will then explore preventative strategies as well as how school staff can address these issues when they occur. A clear understanding of what constitutes harassment and the harmful effects of harassment on people and institutions is essential to providing a safe and inclusive school environment for all.
Some Course Objectives include:
- To know and understand the legal and operational definitions of harassment, and to increase the knowledge of the responsibilities of supervisors and organizations in preventing and responding to harassment.
- To know and understand the forms of sexual harassment and its relationship to prejudice, discrimination, and power differentials
- To provide guidelines for the development and implementation of a sexual harassment policy applicable to the school or work site
- To increase knowledge of the extent and impact of sexual harassment on the victim and in the workplace
- To understand the steps that can be taken if someone is sexually harassed and to identify strategies/behaviors to stop sexual harassment
- To know about gender harassment on the Internet and preventative steps to take
- To identify the dynamics of bullying in general and to know the impact of bullying on the individuals involved and on the school environment
- To understand the definition of cyber-bullying and intimidation
- To understand the methods used in cyber-bullying and to be aware of the types of cyber-bullying that can occur
- To identify prevention strategies for bullying and cyber-bullying that schools can implement and to know and understand remediation possibilities for bullying and cyberbullying
- To offer ways that schools can support parents in preventing cyber-bullying.
Please refer to the Course Resource document for more course information (requirements, grading, etc.)
Harassment Bullying and Cyber Intimidation (Course at a Glance) (PDF Document)