This course presents a comprehensive overview of the recruitment and employment process, an often underutilized part of human resource planning and management strategy. You will sharpen your professional skills by exploring key concepts, including state and federal employment laws, the recruitment process, the legal issues of pre-employment inquiries, and post termination considerations.
- Methods of recruiting qualified individuals
- How to screen employment applications so your process is defensible
- "Behavior-based" interview questions
- Defensible reference checking and selection
- How to identify high-potential candidates and choosing the "right fit"
- How to develop the offer and compensation package
- Retention strategies and effective onboarding
This course is part of the Certificate Program in Human Resource Management.
It is recommended that Intro to Human Resources Management be taken before the other courses in the HR Certificate but it is not required to do so. Each required course in the HR Certificate Program is offered in both Portland and Online during the course of the year.
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information: