Course Detail: P_MENTORING - Mentoring Essentials
Mentoring has existed, throughout history, as a tool for developing individuals' talents and knowledge. A tool to pass along critical business information from more experienced to less experienced individuals. A well-designed approach to mentoring can produce meaningful results for everyone from intelligent but inexperienced new hires to mature employees who need or want to broaden or redefine their skills, getting the most out of mentoring relationships inside any business.
After this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Determine what type of mentoring relationship fits your needs
- Describe what effective mentors and mentees actually do
- Understand the payoffs of mentoring relationships
- Avoid common mentoring pitfalls
- Create or effectively use a plan for recruiting, screening,identifying, and matching mentors and mentees
- Create a development plan for mentees and a negotiated agreement with clearly defined expectations and action plans for both parties
- Use the GROW model to discuss developmental opportunities for mentees
- Effectively involve mentees' direct supervisors, who do not serve as mentors, in the mentoring process
Who Should Attend?
This course is helpful for managers and supervisors wanting to build mentoring into their management practices, for business leaders and owners wanting to develop purposeful mentorship within their growing businesses or for succession planning, for Human Resources Managers and formal or informal mentorship program coordinators looking to start a new or refresh an existing mentoring program, for HR Managers wanting to facilitate new-hire onboarding, for current or future mentors and mentees, and for anyone interested in exploring the practice of mentorship and whether mentoring in some way might be helpful in their business settings.
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information:
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.