Course Detail: P_EMPLOYLAW - Employment Law
Learn in the classroom and not in the courtroom. Mistakes in managing employees can lead to costly litigation, loss of reputation, and turnover. During this course, you will learn about employment laws and regulations involved in managing employees, the implications of the laws affecting your employment practices, and specific operational approaches to help you build an employment culture of compliance.
- Current Federal and State employment laws and discrimination regulations
- Best practices of hiring, performance management, and employment termination
- How to avoid common human resources pitfalls in the workplace
- Regulations regarding sexual harassment, workplace violence, and statutory leaves of absence
- What you should include in your employee handbook
This course is part of the Certificate Program in Human Resource Management. It is recommended that Intro to Human Resources Management be taken before the other courses in the HR Certificate but it is not required to do so.
*This course was formerly called Personnel Law and was changed as of 10/31/2019.
The University of Southern Maine is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The registration fee includes all materials.
For more information: