Course Detail: VOCL114 - MUSIC ACADEMY: VOCALS I Beginners/Intermediate (Middle & High School) IN-PERSON
VOCALS I: This class focuses on the fundamentals of vocal instruction and technique. Whether you are an aspiring virtuoso or a novice trying to find your singing voice, this program provides an engaging and rewarding musical experience that will expand student's horizons. Students will receive group voice work in a master repertoire class with students of similar experience and skill, individualized coaching, music theory and sight reading instruction.
- Become familiar with your vocal instrument
- Develop practice skills for the development of a proper singing technique
- Develop an appreciation of your own performing as well as others
- Exposure to various vocal styles through open recitals and recordings
Course Goals: Students to acquire and assimilate a singing technique through developing:
- Correct posture and breathing
- Healthy tone production
- Correct diction and articulation
- Rudimentary musicianship skills including melodic notation and its application to the keyboard
- Expressive interpretation of folk songs, arts songs, and musical theatre songs
- Stage presence, poise and personal motivation
Students receive their tutelage from UMBC music faculty member Janice Jackson, Director of the Jubilee Singers, and UMBC Choir. Singers of all proficiency levels are invited to join us for this fun weeklong summer experience dedicated to their musical enrichment and growth.
LUNCH: Students staying for full day or for both morning and afternoon sessions can bring or buy their lunch. All students will eat lunch on Campus in The Commons, a small food court.
Waiver - Photo and Video (PDF) 2023 (PDF Document)
Available Sessions - Click on date(s) below
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled program.