This course price includes tuition, $50 nonrefundable registration fee & a $20 nonrefundable course fee.
Unleash your imagination to create a one-of-a-kind large-scale collage from an array of traditional and non-traditional materials. Choose from unlike options including photographs, scanned images, exotic papers, and paint and ink, which fuse to become a work of art suitable for display. This course merges the playfulness of expressive art with history and theory that support memorable assemblage.
Students will have the experience of creating work using the techniques of paper cutting and collage assemblage. This ancient skill has found its way into the contemporary art world. Henry Bermudez has developed his own techniques within his large scale works. This class will help you envision new ideas. Using random composition, join us in making art beyond the frame in a playfully free environment.
What will you do in class?
Demonstrations, presentations in painting and cutting techniques, and studio work time
What will you make in this workshop?
1. You will make drawings different shapes, and then paint these drawings
2. You will use the X-acto knife to cut out these shapes
3. We will analyze your created shapes, and look for new compositional possibilities with instructor guidance
4. Once you determine your composition, you will create your final collage using archival adhesive to fix into place.
- X-Acto knife # 1
- acid free glue
- one sheet of foam board, (¼" width) (you won't need this the first night)
- a variety of paintbrush sizes for acrylic paint
- acrylic color (yellow, blue, red, white, Black)
- palette or butcher paper for mixing colors
- water container
- cutting mat
- metal ruler (24")
The paper to begin your project will be provided by the instructor. You will be using Strathmore watercolor paper, cold press, 140 lb ( 300g/m2 ). You may need to purchase additional paper depending on the size of your project. Full rolls are sold at Blick for $44.69, or they also have smaller sheets.
ADSN 0402N Creating a Large Scale Collage Oosterbaan 19SC Syllabus (PDF Document)