This course is designed to familiarize aerospace professionals with current project management techniques. Topics discussed include selecting the project team, identifying the functions of a project team and management team, integration of project management, work breakdown structures, interfaces, communications and transfers, estimating and planning, risk and challenges for the project manager, alternative organizational structures, and control and planning of time, money and technical resources. Course attendees are asked to bring a current project management problem from your team or organization. During class you will work on developing a reasonable solution and a project plan to accomplish it.
- Understanding the five phases of project management
- Project definition and distinguishing characteristics, and how they are related
- Strategic issues including how this project is significant for the organization
- Internal project planning, or how to wear many hats simultaneously
- Work breakdown structure, taken to the appropriate level and not just the lowest level
- Time estimation, as well as "guesstimating" and scheduling techniques
- Network diagrams and how to determine the most efficient and expedient options
- Cost estimating for the top-down and bottom-up perspective
- Contingency and risk for every phase of the project
- Project team selection, training, mentoring, team building and dealing with special people
- Project cost reporting during the course of each phase and calculating the end cost
This course is designed for engineers and other technical professionals at all levels, along with new project managers responsible for small-large and long-duration projects. This course is best suited to people who are new to project management and current project managers who want to hone their management skills.
Early registration course fee: $2,195 if you register and pay by the early registration deadline (45 days prior to the first day of class).
Regular registration course fee: $2,395 if you register and pay after the early registration deadline.
U.S. Federal Employee Discount
This course is available to U.S. federal employees at 10% off the registration fee. To receive the federal employee discount, you must enter the code FGVT116 during the checkout process. Please note that you must validate your eligibility to receive this discount by entering your U.S. government email address (ending in .gov or .mil) when creating your online registration profile. This discount is available for both the early registration and regular registration fees.
Netherlands Defence Academy Discount
This course is available to Netherlands Defence Academy employees at a discounted registration fee. Please contact the NDA Procurement and Contracting department for details. Please note that you cannot register using our online system when requesting this discount.
This course is not part of a certificate track.
Classroom hours / CEUs
28 classroom hours
IMPORTANT - BEFORE REGISTERING FOR A COURSE
You will need a profile with a password to access to your course enrollment history and certificates.
Click on "Create Profile/Sign In" in the left hand margin. If you have previously created an account Sign In with your password. If you do not have a profile with a password, click "create a profile". Continue shopping to register for the course and session of your choice. Course Resources
AERO0320 Course Information and Outline : Fundamentals of Project Management for Aerospace Professionals