Course Detail: SMSA - Aviation Safety Management Systems
The Aviation SMS three-day course, developed by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, provides participants with an expanded background in intermediate and advanced Safety Management Systems (SMS) concepts, and supports both implementation and continuous improvement of an active SMS within their organization. Through a focus on practical strategies for maturing safety management practices, attendees will develop tools to implement the theory and principles of SMS as well as an understanding of current FAA guidance and requirements for operators and organizations.
Topics include Safety Policy, Safety Risk Management, Safety Assurance, Safety Promotion, Safety Culture, Flight Data Analysis, Human Factors, Practical Implementation, Safety Performance Indicators (SPI), Internal Evaluations and Audits.
Who Should Attend
This course is of interest to persons who are involved in their organization's safety structure, and are interested in learning about the fundamentals of safety management systems, and individuals who will interface with an SMS in their aviation organization.
By the completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the high level theories and concepts of SMS
- Become familiar with the role of safety culture in a SMS
- Apply the appropriate regulatory requirements for a SMS in their organization
- Use and apply the principles of Safety Risk Management
- Become familiar with the role of Safety Assurance in a SMS
- Describe the requirements for SMS training and its contribution to safety culture
- Incorporate existing programs for OH&S, Emergency Response, and decision making into a systems approach
- Understand and apply an SMS implementation plan, including gap analysis
- Apply basic business theories to report on SMS effectiveness/ROI
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
The preferred method of payment is credit-card at the time of registration. If you are paying by another method of payment (wire-transfer, employer voucher, check/PO), please 'Create Profile' from the left menu and then contact Daytona Beach ProEd to submit a registration request. Please note registrations are not guaranteed until payment is received in full.
A cancellation charge of $150 will be assessed on any standard cancellations. A late cancellation charge of 25% of the course registration fee will be assessed on cancellations occurring within 14 days of the start of the course. For additional information, please review the detailed cancellation, deferment, no-show and refund policies.