Course Detail: NEED - Nursing Education Educator Development
The revised Standards for the North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBN) specify that "nursing faculty who teach in a program leading to initial licensure have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation and evaluation." This preparation can be completed prior to or within the first three years of employment.
In an effort to meet this requirement, the nursing faculty at East Carolina University developed the Nursing Education Educator Development (NEED) program. The program was offered to our faculty in fall 2006. We now want to broaden the reach of the program and share it with our colleagues across the state.
When available, we offer a 45-hour, 13 week NEED program online to existing and potential nursing faculty in North Carolina. The program is designed to:
- (1) fulfill the new NCBN requirement for nurse instructors
- (2) offer flexibility and convenience to faculty members as they increase their repertoire of valuable teaching skills
- (3) save on travel and hotel costs normally associated with participation in face-to-face professional development activities.
Major topics to be covered in this online program include:
- - The 21st Century Nursing Student and Future Nursing Leader
- - New Trends and Perspectives from the Board of Nursing: Nursing Education and Beyond
- - Curriculum Designs Promote Effective Program Outcomes: Connecting the 'Dots' from Needs Assessment to Evaluation
- - Constructing Learning Objectives to Achieve the Desired Outcomes
- - Teaching Strategies Highlight the Changing Gender Composition in Nursing Education
- - Facilitating Students to Achieve Critical Thinking Skills
- - Strategies to Match Learning Styles with Teaching Methods
- - Didactic Classroom Teaching: Considering Students in the Strategy
- - Test Construction as an Assessment of Learning
- - Online Teaching and Evaluation
- - Laboratory Teaching and Evaluation
Frances R. Eason, EdD, MSN, CNE, RN is the program director and lead instructor for NEED. Dr. Eason is a professor and long-term educator, having taught both undergraduate and graduate courses at East Carolina University for many years. In addition, she served on the NC Board of Nursing for 12 years and has served as a program evaluator for the NLNAC since 1981. She has received many teaching awards and honors during her career. Overall, you are in for a great educational experience.
$599 and includes tuition and a certificate verifying completion of the course along with the credits earned.
If you or anyone you know is interested in taking part in the NEED program, please contact Continuing Professional Education at (800) 767-9111 or email@example.com.
Requests for refunds must be made in writing to Continuing Professional Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request Received By
Prior to the start of the program
100% (minus $25 administrative fee)
With one week after the start of the online course/program
After the first week of the course