Course Detail: NEED - Nursing Education Educator Development
The revised Standards for the North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBN) specify that "nursing faculty who teach in a program leading to initial licensure have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation and evaluation." This preparation can be completed prior to or within the first three years of employment.
In an effort to meet this requirement, the nursing faculty at East Carolina University developed the Nursing Education Educator Development (NEED) program. The program was first offered to our faculty in fall 2006 and is approved by the NC Board of Nursing until January 2027. We now want to broaden the reach of the program and share it with our colleagues across the state.
When available, we offer a 45-hour, 13 week NEED program online to existing and potential nursing faculty in North Carolina. The program is designed to:
- (1) fulfill the new NCBN requirement for nurse instructors
- (2) offer flexibility and convenience to faculty members as they increase their repertoire of valuable teaching skills
- (3) save on travel and hotel costs normally associated with participation in face-to-face professional development activities.
Major topics to be covered in this online program include:
- - The 21st Century Nursing Student and Future Nursing Leader
- - New Trends and Perspectives in Nursing Education and Beyond
- - Curriculum Designs Promote Effective Program Outcomes: Connecting the 'Dots' from Needs Assessment to Evaluation
- - Constructing Learning Objectives to Achieve the Desired Outcomes
- - Teaching Strategies Highlight the Changing Gender Composition in Nursing Education
- - Facilitating Students to Achieve Critical Thinking Skills
- - Strategies to Match Learning Styles with Teaching Methods
- - Didactic Classroom Teaching: Considering Students in the Strategy
- - Test Construction as an Assessment of Learning
- - Online Teaching and Evaluation
- - Laboratory Teaching and Evaluation
Dr. Shannon Powell & Dr. Elizabeth De Jesús Toderick will lead instruction for NEED. Overall, you are in for a great educational experience.
$599 and includes tuition and a certificate verifying completion of the course along with the credits earned.
If you or anyone you know is interested in taking part in the NEED program, please contact Continuing Professional Education at (252) 328.9198 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for refunds must be made in writing to Continuing Professional Education at email@example.com.
Request Received By
10 days prior to the start of the program
100% (minus $25 administrative fee)
You can read more about our cancellation policy here.