Micro Course Information: SPIR121 - A Moral Compass: Catholic Social Teaching
Catholic social teaching focuses on the ways in which a living faith inspires loving action for the transformation of the world. In this micro course, you will explore the relationship between spirituality and social responsibility in dialogue with Catholic social teaching. You will learn the foundations and principles of Catholic social teaching, examine the ways these are applied to current social issues, and reflect on your own commitment to live more justly.
This course does not presume any religious faith or belonging and is meant to serve:
- -Working professionals who see their work in the context of service to the common good.
- -Spiritual practitioners who desire to reflect on the beliefs and values which guide the way in which they relate to the communities they belong to.
- -Persons who want to understand the basic principles of Catholic social teaching.
- -Clarke faculty and staff who want to consider ways to apply these to their own academic field or university department.
After successfully completing this micro course, you'll be able to:
- - Relate spiritual and religious values to social and political responsibility and action
- - Examine the major foundations and themes of Catholic social teaching
- - Consider the prophetic witness for justice in the contemporary world
- - Formulate a personal sense of spirituality and responsibility to the human community and creation
Micro Course Outline:
Unit 1 - The Relationship Between Faith and Justice
Unit 2 - The Foundational Principles of Catholic Social Teaching
Unit 3 - The Consistent Ethic of Life and the Living Tradition - Applying Catholic Social Teaching Today
Unit 4 - A Personal Dialogue with Pope Francis, Laudato Si and the Social Issues Related to the Care for Creation and the Poor : Going Deeper
This micro course is 100% online, features 15 hours of engaging content, and is self-paced over 4 weeks. You will receive access to the micro course on the 1st of the month, but you are free to work through the material when it works best in your schedule! More information is available on our CareerPLUS website or on our FAQ page.