Micro Course Information: CMWR181 - Professional Communication Strategies
In the workplace and other professional situations, effective communication is essential for productivity, team building, and project success. Paying attention to how you communicate can improve your information delivery, interactions with colleagues, and management of your daily workflow. In this micro course, you will gain strategies for enhancing your oral, written, and non-verbal communication to enhance your effectiveness, productivity, and relationships in the workplace.
After successfully completing this micro course, you'll be able to:
- - Gain strategies for effective oral, written, and non-verbal communication in the workplace
- - Build rhetorical awareness through thoughtful consideration of the audience, purpose, message, and timing of your workplace communications
- - Reflect on your communication practices and apprehensions to hone new skills and polish existing skills
- - Examine implicit and explicit biases that often are barriers to effective communication in the workplace
- - Practice effective communication strategies through role-play, observation, and reflective writing activities
- - Recognize the importance of linguistic diversity and overcoming intrinsic cultural biases in the context of oral, written, and non-verbal professional communication
Micro Course Outline:
Unit 1 - Recognize differences in communication styles and set personal communication goals.
Unit 2 - Reflect on daily writing tasks in the workplace, review basic grammar and punctuation, practice strategies for writing professional email correspondence, and differentiate between formal and informal language and their occasions for use.
Unit 3 - Explore strategies for improving listening skills, learn about the importance of body language in communication, and explore how to recognize and address cultural biases in professional settings.
This micro course is 100% online, features 15 hours of engaging content, and is self-paced over 4 weeks. You will receive access to the micro course on the 1st of the month, but you are free to work through the material when it works best in your schedule! More information is available on our CareerPLUS website or on our FAQ page.
This micro course counts towards the CareerPLUS Professional Writing badge.
Click here to be notified about the next scheduled session.